Vegetable soups are perfect fall and winter food. This easy vegan carrot soup recipe proves that healthy food be as tasty and comforting. This soup is, rich, creamy & 100% guilt free.
I start this easy vegan carrot soup recipe by sautéing my vegetables in a soup pot until the onions are slightly tender.
Then I add about a teaspoon of minced ginger. Ginger gives this soup a pleasant spiciness.
My secret to awesome tasting soup is using vegetable base called ‘Better than Bullion’ instead of regular vegetable broth. It is more convenient, cheaper, and tastier than the boxed/canned vegetable broths. I always have a supply of this product (vegetable, chicken, and beef base) in my fridge.
I like to use Silk coconut milk instead of canned coconut milk. You can find them in 1/2 gallon cartons in the refrigerated isle of your grocery store. I use coconut milk as a milk alternative: in my oatmeal, in my coffee, to make amazing smoothies, etc.
I cook the vegetables in broth and coconut milk for about 15 – 20 minutes s or until the carrots are fork tender. Then I blend the soup in my Vita-mix (you could also use an immersion blender).
If you use blender to puree your soup remember to stay safe. Hot liquids can force the lid off of a blender and explode everywhere…even if you are holding the lid down.
Soup Blending Safety Tips:
- Let the soup cool down for a few minutes to let the steam escape before you blend.
- Fill the blender only half way with hot liquid.
- Use a kitchen towel to protect your hand from hot steam and liquid.
- 1/2 tbs cooking oil (extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil)
- 4 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (minced or grated on a microplane)
- Coarse Salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk (found in refrigerated isle)
- Preheat cooking oil in dutch oven.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and salt. Sautee for about 5-6 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add minced ginger. Cook for 30 seconds to release aroma.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are fork tender.
- Carefully puree the soup. You can use an immersion blender. You can also ladel the soup in a blender and blend the soup on high speed. If you use a blender, make sure to remember soup blender safety tips.
- If you used a blender to puree the soup, pour the soup back in the dutch oven to keep warm.
- Serve and enjoy